Not many places can claim the amazing variety of landscape choices
within 50 miles of Flagstaff, Arizona. I can choose to paint the aspen
forests of the San Francisco Peaks at 9,000’ to the floor of the Colorado Plateau and its ancient ruins at 5,000’. In between are the sunflower meadows of my town, mountain lakes and the red rock canyons
of Sedona. My watercolor landscapes have a bold style that reflects
I am an avid plein-air painter. Some of those paintings can stand
alone; others are material for studio work. Doing a painting on site
engages all the senses so that place becomes unforgettable to the
artist. I’m trying to convey that sense of time and place to the viewer. I’m particularly fond of snow scenes – something we have plenty of in Flagstaff. Watercolors tend to freeze up, so these are not plein-air
pieces. Florals and still lifes offer a nice change of pace.
My first career was as a Los Angeles area art director. I often
designed ads to use watercolor or pastel illustration and thought to
give fine art a try someday. That day arrived after we moved our
young family to Flagstaff. Ad design proved helpful in approaching
painting with an eye for composition and color. I was able to use layout
marker illustration skills (there were no computers then) for value
I chose this challenging medium because of its spontaneity and
breadth of application. Great things often happen in a painting when
you let the paint be a partner in the process. There’s no shortage of
things to learn about watercolor so I attend professional workshops,
study magazines and on-line sources, participate in a critque
group and teach a beginner class.
Background and Affiliations
Former Los Angeles ad agency art director
Competitive plein-air artist
Award winning professional artist
Flagstaff resident since 1994
BFA from Northern Arizona University
Juried member Northern Arizona Watercolor Society
and its past president
Signature member Arizona Watercolor Association
Member Arizona Plein-Air Painters
Member Plein-Air Artists of Colorado
Member Plein-Air Painters of Northern Arizona
Member Artist Coalition of Flagstaff
• Northern Arizona Watercolor Society 2016 Members Spring Exhibition
This show ended on May 23rd. I had 3 pieces accepted with one "South Fork Morning" receiving the Memorial Award.
• Great experience at Victor Celebrates The Arts Plein-Air competition in Colorado. I sold 4 of 5 paintings displayed and won the Brush Rush event.
• Arizona Plein-Air Painters 2015 Annual Juried Show
Honorable Mention for "Mountain Foothills In Summer"
• Escalante 2014 Plein-Air Competition
Merit Award for "A Wash In Morning Light"
• Victor Celebrates The Arts 2014 Plein-Air Competition
2nd Place Professional Category for "Strong & Stormy" and the Poster Award for "Victor High Rise"
• Northern Arizona Watercolor Society 2013
Juror: John Salminen
• 5th Annual Colorado Mountain Plein-Air Festival
3rd place award for "Stockyards Above the Arkansas"
• Arizona Plein-Air Painters 2012 Annual Juried Show
Best Of Show Award for "Frozen In Between"
• Arizona Watercolor Assoc. 2012 Spring Exhibition
Merchant Award for "Life On The Edge"
• Northern Arizona Watercolor Society 2011
The Gretchen Swarthout Memorial Award for "Monument Valley Impression". Juror: Tom Lynch
• Arizona Plein-Air Painters 2011 Annual Juried Show
Merit Award for "Sunflower Fields Forever"
• Plein-Air Moab 2011 Competition
Merit Award for "Aspen Ravine"
• Arizona Watercolor Assoc. 2010
Merchant Award for "Blue Blanket". Juror: Frank Webb
• Plein-Air Moab 2010 Competition
2nd place Award for "Steel Bender"
• Escalante Plein-Air 2007 Competition
Honorable Mention for "Autumn Color"
Local Shows that include my art:
• Flagstaff Chamber Of Commerce - featured artist for November
• The Drury Inn & Convention Center is displaying "Winter in Watercolor" paintings by 3 local artists. I have 2 paintings there.
NORTHERN ARIZONA WATERCOLOR SOCIETY 2017
SPRING MEMBER EXHIBITION
The show is over now and I am proud to announce that juror Ian Stewart awarded my painting "Morning In Moab" as Best Of Show. i also won a Merit award for "Beneath The Falls. Both shown here.
Linda, Me, Diane and Pat packed and ready to go.
When plein-air competitions ended last fall my friends and i did a 4 day painting trip to the Vermillion Cliffs, Kanab and Lee's Ferry - all a pretty short drive from Flagstaff. I got some great plein-air paintings, some of which will become studio pieces this winter.
"South Fork Morning " NAWS award